Founded in 1997, Momentous School (formerly J. Erik Jonsson Community School) is a unique Dallas laboratory school, where students ages 3 years old through 5th grade are engaged with a rigorous curriculum, woven with rich experiences on social emotional health — a key predictor for a child’s academic achievement and lifelong success. Our program is underscored by deep parent engagement, as students thrive when they can be recognized and celebrated both at school and at home.
Momentous School exists to develop and operate a transforming learning community for urban children and their families who value education, and promotes academic excellence and social competence.
Momentous School is a dynamic community built on the foundations of strong relationships and high expectations. Teachers, students and families are engaged in an innovative environment that ignites enthusiasm for lifelong learning and encourages global citizenship. We are committed to sharing and learning with others through an open exchange of ideas, serving as an example of excellence in urban education.
Social emotional health
Each year, our students achieve outstanding academic success, built on the foundation of prioritizing rigorous academics and social emotional health. Learning about their brain, self-regulation, problem solving, and understanding of others leads kids to achieve their full potential.
Additional key program components include:
- Classrooms — small in size and rich in community-as-a-classroom experiences, including field trips and guest speakers
- Relationship-based learning — open, comfortable communications between teachers and their students and families
- Brain compatible strategies, increasing students’ academic learning and achievement
- Understanding by Design (UbD) framework — framework used by teachers to write and continually refine their curriculum, using a process that begins with the end in mind
- Extended school year calendar — students attend school approximately 190 days each year; shorter and more frequent breaks prevent students from losing the gains they have made and allow the necessary planning time for faculty to develop curriculum.
Our Momentous School results prove that long-term success is possible when interventions start early.
- 99 percent of alumni graduated high school on time
- 86 percent advanced to higher education
- 87 percent of our college freshmen re-enrolled for their sophomore year
At Momentous School, our work and relationships with both students and parents are driven by our core values, and we establish each year that the same values be implemented by students and parents when they engage with us. Our core values are: